Understanding travel authorization and travel reimbursement

Business Manager Justin Lanting has shared the following information to communicate about Travel Authorization and Travel Reimbursement.

Note: Travel authorization is only required for travel outside of Thurston County.

Travel Authorization is done on a Treeno Form (PDF) before embarking on a trip, while Travel Reimbursement is completed in Skyward Employee Access prior (meal per-diem) or after having returned from the trip.

It is important that employees know that travel authorization does not produce payment of any type. Completing the travel expense reimbursement in Skyward and having it approved by all necessary supervisors is the only way to receive cash disbursement.

Payments are processed weekly and are deposited on Fridays.  If the reimbursement is fully approved on Monday, payment is issued on the Friday of the same week. Employees with approved reimbursements receive an email on Tuesday prior to the Friday funding.

There are a variety of resources on the Business Services Forms Web page that assist employees in understanding travel authorization and reimbursement. The following documents can be accessed after signing into the Forms page:

  • Travel Request Form
  • How to Submit an Electronic Travel Request Authorization
  • In-District Travel Log for Itinerant Staff
  • How to Complete a Travel Log and Submit a Travel Expense Reimbursement
  • Travel Procedures
  • How to Submit a Travel Expense Reimbursement
  • Mileage Chart
  • Mileage and Per Diem Rates
  • CHS Mileage Chart for Sports Travel
  • OHS Mileage Chart for Sports Travel