This week, Wendy Couture, the district’s safety and risk reduction manager, shares information about paper cutter safety.
Save your fingers!
Paper cutter safety is imperative to prevent dangerous lacerations or the accidental amputation of fingers and limbs. Technology has made it possible to design cutters with safety features to protect from accidental injuries. Replacement of older guillotine-style paper cutters with more modern equipment is important.
Please be sure all paper cutters in your department have a guard like the one seen here:
Paper Trimmer – How to use
- Trimmer should be on a stable, flat surface.
- Safety latch should be on when trimmer is not in use.
- When cutting, keep hands and fingers behind the guard rail and clear of the cutting blade at all times.
- Maximum of 15 sheets of paper.
- When finished, always place the cutting handle in the down position and secure the safety latch.
- For adult use only.
- Do not remove the guard rail .
- Do not carry the trimmer by the cutting handle or blade.
- Keep loose fitting clothing away from cutting blade.