Congratulations to each of the 2018 Olympia School District Employee Recognition Award winners, who will be honored at the May 7 Olympia School Board meeting.
This annual awards program is designed to recognize employees from throughout the district in several categories. All employees districtwide were invited to send in nominations, and a screening committee reviewed the entries and selected the winners.
The school board will recognize the winners at the start of the board meeting on Monday, May 7, 6:30 p.m. at Olympia Regional Learning Academy (ORLA), 2400 15th Ave. S.E., Olympia.
This year’s award winners include:
“Supports Others” – Any staff member who plays a unique role in enabling others to excel.
- Nikolai Gurda, Upper Elementary Teacher, Olympia Regional Learning Academy
The Champion of Differences
“Celebrates Diversity” – Any staff member who, by his or her actions, celebrates the values and differences of individual groups.
- Maribeth Wheeler, 2/3 Teacher, Lincoln Elementary School
- Leslie Gowell, McKinney-Vento Program Support Specialist, Knox Administrative Center
“Changes Making a Difference” – Any staff member who demonstrates innovative strategies that significantly improve the district mission.
- Elizabeth “Beth” Wilson, 2/3 Teacher, Boston Harbor Elementary School
The Unsung Hero
“Goes the Extra Mile” – Any staff member who continually gets results with little or no fanfare.
- Sean Mullin, Paraeducator, Special Education, Pioneer Elementary School
- Jill Johnson, ELL Teacher, Capital High School
The Dream Team
“Above and Beyond” – Any group of staff members working together to help students succeed in or out of the classroom.
- Madison Elementary School Multidisciplinary Team: Omar Flores, Denise Hammer, Karen Froelicher, and Kristin Sundsten