The Olympia School District is accepting nominations for one or more staff members to be honored as OSD Classified School Employee of the Year. The program recognizes the work of classified staff members who have made a positive difference in their profession. All school and support building employees who are categorized as “Classified” staff are eligible for nomination. Nominees should be employees who consistently demonstrate outstanding work performance, professional leadership and collaboration.
Please include in your written nomination specifics of how well the staff member meets the following state Classified School Employee of the Year criteria:
1. The educator (classified employee) has the respect and admiration of their colleagues.
2. The educator (classified employee) collaborates with colleagues, students and families to create a school culture of respect and success.
3. The educator (classified employee) is a leader who makes connections between their daily work and student achievement.
Please complete this online nomination form and submit by 4 p.m on Thursday, October 4, 2018. A committee will review the applications and select the individual(s) to be recognized. The individual(s) chosen will be eligible to compete for the regional Classified School Employee of the Year selection process. The winner at that level advances to the state Classified School Employee of the Year selection process.
Submit your nomination
Benefits Open Enrollment for the 2018-19 school year continues through September 28, 2018.
Employees may log on to http://digital.alight.com/wea to review coverage and make changes.
To view detailed benefit information by employee group, please visit the OSD Staff Intranet Payroll/Benefit page. To access the page, go to https://osd.wednet.edu, then LOGIN, select “Sign in with Google,” Intranet, Departments, Payroll, 2018-19 Benefits.
The Thurston County School Retirees’ Association is accepting applications for its elementary teacher mini-grant program for the 2018-19 school year.
The deadline to apply for the elementary mini-grants is October 19, 2018. The grants are designed to provide an opportunity for elementary school teachers to enhance the education of their students.
Fill out the one page application, which is also available on the Thurston County School Retirees’ Association website.
For additional information, contact Jo Edwards at email@example.com.
Thurston County School Retirees’ Association is a chapter of the Washington State School Retirees’ Association.
Volunteers are needed to serve as art docents in an expanded elementary school visual arts program this year.
This is the fourth year of the visual arts program, which started in 10 elementary classrooms and has been expanded to more than 50 classrooms throughout the district’s 11 elementary schools.
Art docents deliver an art lesson once or twice a month while assisted by staff members. Each art lesson is between an hour and 75 minutes long, and lesson-specific art supplies are provided to classrooms ahead of the scheduled presentation for the docent to use. The art curriculum features engaging and easy-to-follow lessons.
The district offers convenient and flexible schedules for docents, who work closely with Kirstin Holstrom, art teacher at Washington Middle School and creative director of the visual arts program. Volunteer art docents begin in October and end in May.
If you know of anyone interested in volunteering, please have them contact Kirstin Holstrom at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are many ways for employees to give to non-profit organizations, including via individual initiative, through annual drives such as United Way, and through the Olympia School District Education Foundation automatic OSD payroll deduction option.
Employees who wish to sign up for the monthly OSDEF automatic payroll deduction may do so by downloading the form attached and returning a signed copy to the Knox Administrative Center Payroll Office. Forms may be sent through inter-district mail or dropped off in person.
Please download and fill out your OSDEF Payroll Deduction form (attached) and return it by October 31, 2018 to the Payroll Department at Knox via inter-district mail. You can add, change or discontinue your donation at any time by contacting the OSD Payroll Department.
Download the OSDEF automatic payroll deduction form
For more information, email the Payroll Department at email@example.com.
As we start our new year, remember to submit names of employees districtwide who have done something deserving of encouragement and praise. Give a shout out to one of your colleagues at your school or support building and watch for it to appear in an upcoming Everyday Heroes blog post.
Here is our newest honoree:
Tricia Kelley, Acccounting Supervisor, Business Office
“I’ve had the pleasure of working with Tricia since the Fall of 2012 beginning in Teaching & Learning and continues with positions she’s held in the Business Office. Tricia, I admire your dedication to the Olympia School District and its staff. I have witnessed you go above and beyond in each and every position you’ve held just since I became an employee. You have worked at the building level, district level curriculum, district level accounting and training, who can say that!! The knowledge you share with others is invaluable. Your knowledge, support and dedication shine. Each and every staff member requesting help are treated with the upmost respect and professionalism. It’s time that you be honored for all you have given over your 20ish years for Olympia School District. On behalf of myself and Office Professionals across the District, I applaud and thank you!”
Submitted by Marjorie Jenne, Technology Department
How to nominate an Everyday Hero
- Email the Communications and Community Relations Department (firstname.lastname@example.org) a few sentences, and no more than 200 words, about why the person deserves recognition. It’s easiest to write as if speaking directly to the colleague, such as “Thank you for helping with…” or “I really appreciated when you…”
- Write Everyday Heroes in the subject heading of the email.
- Include your first and last name as the person submitting the comments.
- Include the first and last name of the OSD employee you are recognizing.
- Include the job title and work location (school or department) of the person you are recognizing.
All submissions will be posted in this blog on a weekly basis and archived each week.
We can’t wait to hear about all of our Everyday Heroes, because we know that every day our bus drivers, child nutrition staff, custodial employees, teachers, paraeducators, school and district office staff, and others are doing amazing work on behalf of students.
Do you maintain or wish to open a professional social media account on behalf of the Olympia School District? Social media is a great way to share information and increase engagement in your school or activity.
Please follow the process outlined below to ensure you are in compliance with district policy when using social media on behalf of the OSD.
Social Media Account Creation & Archiving Process
- Employee notifies building administrator or department head.
- Employee contacts Communications & Community Relations Department for further instructions at email@example.com or (360) 596-6103
- Communications Department shares relevant Policy 4007, Procedure 4007P, and Social Media Best Practices with employee.
- Employee creates social media account(s) using their district email address.
- Employee emails firstname.lastname@example.org with the account type(s) (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or YouTube), name of the account, link to the account and email address associated with that account.
- Communications Department sends a connection request via ArchiveSocial to add the account to the archive portal.
- Employee receives email from ArchiveSocial and follows a few quick steps to connect the account.
If you already maintain a district social media account/page and are not signed up for archiving, or if you need assistance with setting up an account, please contact Communications & Community Relations at (360) 596-6103 or by email at email@example.com.