One of the newest and most comprehensive resources shared with us is a “Diversity Calendar” published by Cultures Connecting.
The 2021-22 calendar includes notations of observances with fasting periods and/or days that work or school should be suspended, and provides direct links to information about each observance. In the opening page of the calendar, the Mission Statement reads: “The purpose of this calendar is to address and support the diversity of students, staff, and families in K-12 education settings and beyond. We recognize that by increasing our understanding of diverse cultures, group experiences, traditions, values and beliefs, we can enhance our relationships with one another and hence, create culturally responsive environments where everyone feels valued and respected.” Download the PDF for easy reference throughout the school year.
Other resources include:
- Key Dates – April 2021 issue of OnCall, published by the Washington State School Directors Association (WSSDA). This annual calendar lists a combination of special months and weeks, as well as holidays and some interfaith celebrations. View 2021-22 Key Dates for School Calendars
- OSPI website: Common Religious and U.S. Public Holiday Calendars
- Top Gale Professional Growth e-Library resources related to inclusive environments and practices:
- Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students (2015)
- An RTI Guide to Improving the Performance of African American Students(2015)
- Culturally Proficient Inclusive Schools: All Means ALL (2018)
- Becoming the Educator They Need: Strategies, Mindsets, and Beliefs for Supporting Male Black and Latino Students(2019)
- Leading an Inclusive School: Access and Success for All Students(2017)
- Inclusion Strategies and Interventions(2021)
- It’s OK to Say “They”: Tips for Educator Allies of Transgender and Nonbinary Students(2020)
- For support with these titles, access more information about the Gale e-Library
Remember you can always return to the staff blog at any future date to access these resources. We will continue to update this list as we become aware of new resources.