The information in this blog post is being shared by the Teaching & Learning team with all staff, considering:
- many staff live in our community and might know a student in kindergarten or first grade who should be recommended for Highly Capable Services.
- our emphasis on increasing access to Highly Capable Services in alignment with Student Outcomes #2 and #4 and the commitments of our Board in our Recovery Plan.
Eligibility Reflection Questions
Do you know a student in kindergarten or 1st grade who:
- Thinks up unusual ways to solve difficult problems?
- Generates and comprehends complex and abstract ideas?
- Exhibits feelings and opinions from multiple perspectives?
- Thinks logically and wants things to make sense?
- Prefers the company of intellectual peers?
- Is an expert who abstracts beyond the field?
If you answered “yes” to any of the questions above, please consider referring the student for identification for Highly Capable Services.
Referral Process & Timeline
Referrals may come from community members, teachers, other staff, parents/guardians and students. The referral window for students in kindergarten and first grade to be considered for Highly Capable Services is open now and will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, October 29, 2021.
- Curious what the steps for identification and timeline look like for this process? Details can be found here.
- To learn more about OSD’s highly capable services, go to Olympia School District’s Highly Capable Services webpage, where you will find information regarding identification and services, as well as links to the referral form.
- Physical copies of the referral form are available and can be picked up at the front desk of the Knox Administrative Center located at 111 Bethel St. N.E. in Olympia.
Who to Contact
If you have questions, please contact members of the Teaching & Learning team through our general email address: Knox-K12TeachLearn@osd.wednet.edu.
You must be logged in to post a comment.