In accordance with RCW 28A.400.210 and WAC 392-136, school district employees meeting certain eligibility requirements may request pay for unused sick leave that has accrued during the prior calendar year (2022).
Employees that have over 60 days of sick leave, as of December 31, 2022, may be eligible for the cash out:
- Only the sick leave days accumulated (earned) during the calendar year (2022) are eligible for the buy back. You can refer to your collective bargaining agreement (CBA) on how many sick days a year your union receives. For example if you earned 12 days and used 2 days you would be eligible to cash out 10 days total.
- Remaining sick leave balance, after buy back, must have a minimum of 60 days after the cash out is completed.
- If you select not to buy back any sick leave hours your sick leave will stay in your balance and will not be cashed out.
- If you are eligible for cash out, depending on your employee groups’ vote outcome regarding VEBA and your total sick leave balance as of 12/31/2022 (more or less than 180 days), some employees will be cashed out monetarily and some employees will have a monetary amount added to their VEBA account. The cash out mechanism is governed by law and VEBA vote outcome; neither the employee nor the payroll office have flexibility with regard to the mechanism.
- Mechanism: The payroll team will be happy to tell you which cash out mechanism would be used for your particular balance and group. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email us your questions by February 5 so that there is time to answer your questions and, should you choose, for you to apply for buy back in time for the February 10, 2023 deadline.
- Sick leave buy back is paid at 1 to 4 ratio of your hourly rate, regardless of the mechanism of buy back.
If you have over 60 days of sick leave and believe that you are eligible for the cash out and would like to cash out your sick leave please fill out the attached form and return to the payroll office no later than February 10, 2023. We will process your request and let you know if you are eligible or not.
If you are eligible for the sick leave buy back it will be processed with the February payroll.
You must be logged in to post a comment.