Update May 19, 2023
The application deadline, originally set for today, has been extended until all four student representative positions are filled,
The Olympia School District Board of Directors is accepting applications for four high school juniors or seniors to serve as student representatives on the board in 2023-24 school year.
Student representatives serve in an advisory capacity at board meetings and may cast non-binding, advisory votes on motions before the board. They contribute to discussion by providing student insight and are encouraged to comment about policies, procedures and decisions that affect students. They also serve as a liaison for student leadership at their schools and report to fellow students about the work of the board and district activities.
One student representative is selected from Avanti, Capital, Olympia and Olympia Regional Learning Academy (ORLA) each spring to serve on the board for the following school year (July 1-June 30).
Student representatives must be:
- Entering their junior or senior year at the time of selection and in good academic standing, and maintain good academic standing throughout their term. Selected students should also have a history of leadership and involvement in extracurricular and civic activities;
- Willing to communicate with fellow students about the activities of the board and to gather input about issues facing the board;
- Willing to commit the necessary time to attend meetings and perform the duties and responsibilities of a student representative. Board meetings are generally scheduled two evenings each month (2nd and 4th Thursday from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.), one monthly work session (1st Thursday from 6 – 8 p.m.), a summer retreat in the month of August (1/2 day); and a winter retreat in the month of January (1/2 day)
- The student representative is preferred to be a resident of the district.
Student representatives serve a one-year term on the board through June 13, 2024.
If you are interested, please fill out the application.
APPLY NOW! (Online Application)
Student Board Representative 2023-24 Recruitment Timeline
- May 1 until all four student representative positions are filled: Accepting applications
- May 19 – 23: Application screening
- May 23 – 24: Eligible applicants selected for interviews
- Week of May 29: Interviews scheduled *specific date TBD
- June 2: New Student Board Representatives for 2023-24 school year selected
- June 8: Oath of Office at Board Meeting
For more information about being a student representative, contact Emmie San Nicolas, executive assistant to the superintendent, at email@example.com, or call (360) 596-6114.